CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Smoky Mountain Retreat

With all the craziness going on, we decided to take a minute for our first vacation with just the two of us since we got married - almost 4 years ago now. We thought a nice secluded cabin in the Smokies was just the trick, so off we went for 5 days. I didn't answer my phone the entire time and for those of you who know me, you know that was a miracle itself!

I LOVED the mountains. We spent the first day in Cades Cove and hiked on a bunch of the side trails to get away from everyone else. It was awesome and I felt like an adventurer exploring new territory (yeah, I know, thousands of people have done the same, but still, I'm charting new territory here. Give me a break!). Everything we did seemed like it was just the two of us. Perfect.

On that first day we saw 5 bears. One crossed on a trail we were on just 20 feet away. Later in the day we saw a momma and 2 cubs down in a narrow valley. It was just amazing. Sorry the video is sideways, but I can't figure out how to turn it the right way. So, if you're using a laptop turn it on it's side and, if not, best wishes getting yourself turned on your side!

We spent a couple of hours in Gatlinburg doing touristy things like the old-time photos and the Ober Gatlinburg Tram, but the rest of the time we spent relaxing in the cabin or the mountains. It was exactly what we needed to prepare for the upcoming school year - a 3L already - and for returning to the daily grind. I can't wait for our next trip!

On our way home we stopped in Nashville for a few hours to say "hey" to Josh's Mom & Rudy, and his Dad and Patty. It always makes me wish there was more time in the day and more days in the year (that could never be intruded on by work or school). While the time was brief, it was as heart-warming as ever to see everyone's face and share some time together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jealous beyond words! I love the mountains. I am glad you both got to take a trip like this. Missy and I took a trip like that a few years ago and we STILL talk about it! The bear video is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Likewise, I am very happy for the two of you. Some time for yourselves was certainly deserved!

Caleb and Anna said...

The bears are so cute! I am glad you had some great together time-- we enjoyed our time there in May and cherish the memories as well. -Anna