CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

It Was Comcastic


This is my first time to post on the blog so if anything is in a weird font or format just be patient and Jamie will fix it later. We managed to pack in a lot of fun this 4th of July weekend. We went to a fish fry, had lunch with dear friends and we kicked it all of with the Com-cast Firecracker 5K. This was a special race because this was the first race that we both participated in together.

The atmosphere for this thing was pretty incredible, there were walkers and elite class runners all in one place generally being nervous and twitchy before the gun went off. It was a varied race field because this is the state distance championship for the 5K distance and the biggest race in Memphis. So there were serious competitors, experienced triathletes, and guys like me.

Jamie was running her first race and so shortly after the gun went off I saw her pink visor cut up on the sidewalk and disappear. I didn’t see her for the rest of the race but I was so proud that she had the courage to start so strong and I was mentally cheering her on to a good finish time.


I was running my own race by walking and not pushing my injured knee too hard…it took lots of discipline but it was a really neat race. We got to travel some of the busiest streets in Memphis on foot; locals will know how surreal it was to be walking down the middle of Mendenhall. I just kept looking up at the signs because I couldn’t believe it. Those who lived on the race route treated it as a party, cheering people on and even turning their sprinklers towards the streets so that runners could be refreshed and the walkers could dodge all of the cold water. Jamie ran to a great time which has already initiated a little in-house competition, and I walked to a new appreciation for taking it easy. We went to the Belmont Grill for very well earned burgers and passed out. Thanks to all who wished us luck and hung out with us over the weekend.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, I was googling 5Ks and wound up on your blog, I am trying to get started myself but it is neat to see that you and your husband do this stuff together ( I know you can beat him...we girls just have to stick together hee hee).-Kara